BABBs Annual Competition Info
Registration is closed.
Entry registration is closed.
The BABBs Annual Championships is BJCP sanctioned and open only to financial members of BABBs.
All entries must be received at the June meeting, at the nominated drop-off locations in the window or specified, or by arrangement with the committee.
Entries must be registered and paid for online before drop off. Printed labels from the registration site are mandatory for acceptance of entries. The labels are to be attached to the bottles with rubber bands only. Do NOT use tape.
All entries must be handcrafted products, containing ingredients available to the general public, and made using private equipment by hobbyist brewers (i.e., no use of commercial facilities or Brew on Premises operations, supplies, etc.).
Entry fee is $2.50 per entry.
Further detailed rules and submission instructions on the Info page
BJCP 2015 Judging Styles
If a style's name is hyperlinked, it has specific entry requirements. Click or tap on the name to view the subcategory's requirements.
|1A American Light Lager||1B American Lager||1C Cream Ale|
|1D American Wheat Beer||2A International Pale Lager||2B International Amber Lager|
|2C International Dark Lager||3A Czech Pale Lager||3B Czech Premium Pale Lager|
|3C Czech Amber Lager||3D Czech Dark Lager||4A Munich Helles|
|4B Festbier||4C Helles Bock||5A German Leichtbier|
|5B Kolsch||5C German Exportbier||5D German Pils|
|6A Marzen||6B Rauchbier||6C Dunkels Bock|
|7A Vienna Lager||7B Altbier||7C Kellerbier|
|8A Munich Dunkel||8B Schwarzbier||9A Doppelbock|
|9B Eisbock||9C Baltic Porter||10A Weissbier|
|10B Dunkels Weissbier||10C Weizenbock||11A Ordinary Bitter|
|11B Best Bitter||11C Strong Bitter||12A English Golden Ale|
|12B Australian Sparkling Ale||12C English IPA||13A Dark Mild|
|13B English Brown Ale||13C English Porter||14A Scottish Light|
|14B Scottish Heavy||14C Scottish Export||15A Irish Red Ale|
|15B Irish Stout||15C Irish Extra Stout||16A Sweet Stout|
|16B Oatmeal Stout||16C Tropical Stout||16D Foreign Extra Stout|
|17A British Strong Ale||17A1 Burton Ale||17B Old Ale|
|17C Wee Heavy||17D English Barleywine||18A Blonde Ale|
|18B American Pale Ale||19A American Amber Ale||19B California Common|
|19C American Brown Ale||20A American Porter||20B American Stout|
|20C Imperial Stout||21A American IPA||21B Specialty IPA|
|21B7 New England IPA||22A Double IPA||22B American Strong Ale|
|22C American Barleywine||22D Wheatwine||23A Berliner Weisse|
|23B Flanders Red Ale||23C Oud Bruin||23D Lambic|
|23E Gueuze||23F Fruit Lambic||24A Witbier|
|24B Belgian Pale Ale||24C Biere de Garde||25A Belgian Blond Ale|
|25B Saison||25C Belgian Golden Strong Ale||26A Trappist Single|
|26B Belgian Dubbel||26C Belgian Tripel||26D Belgian Dark Strong Ale|
|27A1 Gose||27A2 Piwo Grodziskie||27A3 Lichtenhainer|
|27A4 Roggenbier||27A5 Sahti||27A6 Kentucky Common|
|28A Brett Beer||28B Mixed Fermentation Sour Beer||28C Wild Specialty Beer|
|29A Fruit Beer||29B Fruit and Spice Beer||29C Specialty Fruit Beer|
|30A Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer||31A Alternative Grain Beer||32A Classic Style Smoked Beer|
|32B Specialty Smoked Beer||33A Wood-Aged Beer||33B Specialty Wood-Aged Beer|
|34B Mixed-Style Beer||34C Experimental Beer||PRX4 Catharina Sour|
|PRX5 New Zealand Pilsner|
Entry Acceptance Rules
Number of Bottles Required Per Entry: 1
1. The competition will be judged according to the following conditions and the fact of entry implies acceptance of these conditions.
2. Entries must be the product of the person(s) entering, each of which must be a current financial member of BABBs. Persons may enter jointly or individually.
3. Entries are restricted to a maximum of ONE beer per style (sub-category), and TWO per person per class. Joint entries count toward the limit for each person, but will have points tallied separately. (See Catgories/Classes further below)
4. A particular batch of beer may only be entered once in the entire competition.
Bottle Entry Requirements
5. 750ml brown beer bottles (glass or PET plastic) are to be used. The bottles must be clean and free from chips, scratches, and/or flaws. Clear plastic PET bottles are not acceptable.
6. Each bottle must be sealed with a new, clean, unbranded, gold coloured crown seal of good quality (if a glass bottle) or with an unbranded clean white or black plastic cap of good quality (if a PET bottle).
7. There shall be no identifying marks on the bottle, the crown seal or plastic cap, or the reverse side of the label.
8. Labels are to be printed from the ‘Entries’ section of your account on the registration site. Use the print logo under the ‘Actions’ column.
9. Printed labels from the registration site are mandatory for acceptance of entries. The labels are to be attached to the bottles with a rubber band/s. Do NOT use any tape.
10. Beers made with any pre-hopped extract or kit, including fresh wort kits, must be marked clearly with a “K” for Kit beer on the centre of the label. Do not mark the QR code.
11. Entries by a Novice brewer, please mark your label clearly with an "N" for novice in the centre of the label. Do not mark the QR code. This makes you eligible for the champion novice prize. A Novice entrant is one who has never received a placing or a Gold, Silver or Bronze award in any previous annual BABBs, Queensland State or National competition.,
12. Entries will be stored and judged chilled.
13. Beers obviously entered out of class will be disqualified.
14. If the number of entries in a Class is less than five (5), the awarding of prizes will be at the discretion of the Executive, and classes may be combined and restructured as required.
15. Judges will award each entry a score out of 50 points, in accordance with BJCP judging guidelines.
16. All entries will be judged and comments either attached to or noted on entry forms, which will be returned to Entrants.
17. Officiating Judges, Stewards, Scorers and the Arbitrator (Chief Steward) shall be the only persons present during the judging.
18. No person shall judge any class wherein they, or a member of their household has entered a beer.
19. Every care will be taken of Entries, but no responsibility for loss or damage will be accepted.
20. Serious infringement of these Rules and Conditions may subject the Entrant for disqualification from the competition and suspension from future BABB's competitions.
21. The decision of the Judges and Arbitrator (Chief Steward) are final and no discussion or correspondence will be entered into.
Judging Sessions and Dates
Results will be announced at the BABBs AGM Meeting 2021.
Certificates and Prizes shall be awarded to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place-getters in each category.
PRIZE: First place getters recieve a $20 gift certificate from Craftbrewer, AND a bag of grain from Cryer Malt!
Certificates shall also be awarded for those entries earning a Gold, Silver or Bronze Medal Award but not being a First, Second or Third place getter.
- Gold Medal = 45 points or more
- Silver Medal = 40 points or more but less than 45 points
- Bronze Medal = 35 points or more but less than 40 points
PRIZE: A BABBs special certificate
Champion Novice Beer – The Bill Hundertmark Memorial Trophy shall be awarded to the entrant of the highest scoring beer produced by an entrant who has never received a placing or a Gold, Silver or Bronze award in any previous annual BABB, Queensland State or National competition.
PRIZE: SS Brewtech Stainless Steel Brew Bucket from New Era
Champion Beer – Shall be awarded for the best beer of the competition, as decided in a best of show judging round.
PRIZE: $200 voucher from Hoppy Days Brewing Supplies
Champion Stoutmaker – The Arthur Anderson Memorial Trophy shall be awarded to the Entrant gaining the highest aggregate score in Class 6 (Porter and Stout) over two different subclasses. In the event of a tie the entrant with the highest scoring beer shall be declared the winner.
PRIZE: Brew your dark beer at White Lies
Champion Lager – The Norman King Memorial Trophy shall be awarded to the Entrant making the highest scoring beer in Class 2 (Lager and Pilsner).
PRIZE: Prize Pack from the German Club
Champion Beermaker – The Brewmaster's Trophy shall be awarded to the Entrant gaining the highest total place points for their four highest placing beers over four different classes; where beers are awarded three place points for a First Place, two points for a Second Place and one point for a Third Place. In the case of a tie, the winner shall be decided on total aggregate scores of each entrant's four highest placing beers over four different classes.
PRIZE: $500 towards brewing equipment or beer-related travel courtesy of BABBs
Both score sheets and awards will be available for pick up that night after the ceremony concludes. Awards and score sheets not picked up will be held for participants. Results will be posted to the competition web site after the ceremony concludes.
1D. American Wheat
10B. Dunkles Weissbier
23A. Berliner Weisse
27A2. Piwo Grodziskie
1A. American Light Lager
1B. American Lager
2A. International Pale Lager
2B. International Amber Lager
2C. International Dark Lager
3A. Czech Pale Lager
3B. Czech Premium Pale Lager
3C. Czech Amber Lager
3D. Czech Dark Lager
4A. Munich Helles
4C. Helles Bock
5A. German Leichtbier
5C. Helles Exportbier
5D. German Pils
6C. Dunkles Bock
7A. Vienna Lager
8A. Munich Dunkel
19B. California Common
X5. New Zealand Pils
3. Pale Ale and Bitter
1C. Cream Ale
11A. Ordinary Bitter
11B. Best Bitter
11C. Strong Bitter
12A. British Golden Ale
12B. Australian Sparkling Ale
12C. English IPA
18A. Blonde Ale
4. American Ale
18B. American Pale Ale
19A. American Amber Ale
19C. American Brown Ale
21A. American IPA
21B. Specialty IPA (all)
22A. Double IPA
5. Amber and Dark Ale
13A. Dark Mild
13B. British Brown Ale
14A. Scottish Light
14B. Scottish Heavy
14C. Scottish Export
15A. Irish Red Ale
27A6. Kentucky Common
6. Stout and Porter
9C. Baltic Porter
13C. English Porter
15B. Irish Stout
15C. Irish Extra Stout
16A. Sweet Stout
16B. Oatmeal Stout
16C. Tropical Stout
16D. Foreign Extra Stout
20A. American Porter
20B. American Stout
20C. Imperial Stout
7. Strong Ale
17A. British Strong Ale
17B. Old Ale
17C. Wee Heavy
17D. English Barleywine
22B. American Strong Ale
22C. American Barleywine
25C. Belgian Golden Strong Ale
26C. Belgian Tripel
26D. Belgian Dark Strong Ale
8. Belgian and Farmhouse
23B. Flanders Red
23C. Oud Bruin
24B. Belgian Pale Ale
24C. Biere de Garde
25A. Belgian Blond Ale
26A. Trappist Single
26B. Belgian Dubbel
28A. Brett Beer
23F. Fruit Lambic
28B. Mixed Fermentation Sour Beer
28C. Wild Specialty Beer
29A. Fruit Beer
29B. Fruit and Spice Beer
29C. Specialty Fruit Beer
30A. Spice, Herb or Vegetable Beer
31A. Alternative Grain Beer
32A. Classic Style Smoked Beer
32B. Specialty Smoked Beer
33A. Wood-aged Beer
33B. Specialty Wood-Aged Beer
34B. Mixed-Style Beer
34C. Experimental Beer
July BABBs Meeting - Greenslopes Bowls Club
131 Ridge St, Greenslopes QLD 4120
Thursday 23 July, 2020 8:00 PM, AEST